Tips & Ideas
As you contemplate the endless possibilities for personalizing your new home in the Edmonton Area, we want to offer a few tidbits of advice to get you started. The key to making the most of your Interior Design Studio appointments is to be prepared.
First, we recommend that you create your dream home wish list – making note of products you’ve been dreaming of such as a whirlpool tub or gleaming granite countertops, or features that suit your lifestyle. Ask yourself the following questions, and then think of how each of these may impact the selections you make for your new home:
- How do you want your new home to make you feel?
- Do you like a formal or casual look?
- Do you prefer Modern or Traditional styles or something in between?
- Do you work from home? Will you need special accommodations for a home office?
- Do you have children and do they require play areas or a teen retreat?
- Do you need a low-maintenance lifestyle?
- Do you love to cook and entertain?
- Are you interested in “green” (environmentally-friendly) products?
- Do you have any pets?
- Is there anyone in the household with allergies or health concerns?
- Do you have anyone who is elderly living with you or visiting frequently?
Tips to Prepare for your Appointments
Here are a few suggestions on things you can do to prepare for your appointments.
- Tour our showhomes – as many as you can. We have beautifully decorated showhomes across the Edmonton Area, each one loaded with design ideas to suit any style. Please review the model description handouts in each of the showhomes, and make notes on what design selections interest you.
- Create an inspiration file – collect magazine clippings, fabric swatches, or any pictures that you can bring to your Interior Design Studio appointments that communicates your own personal style to your Design Consultant.
- Determine your budget for upgrades, and discuss this with your Design Consultant so they can help you work within this budget. Keep in mind that the personal selections you choose may only translate into a few extra dollars on your mortgage payments – a small price to pay to turn your house into your dream home.
- Be true to you. Your home tells the story of who you are, decorate it for you to make you happy!
- Tread cautiously with trends. Trends can sometimes be great – a new revolutionary product or something you’ve never seen before. But ask yourself if the design you implement today is something you will want to look at years from now.
- Think of others – your family, and your guests. Often we look at magazine pictures or model homes for inspiration, but those rooms are designed for photo shoots, to highlight design and architecture, not for everyday living. Imagine your rooms with people in them, and think of what’s comfortable and what’s practical.
- Think in 3D! It’s easy to forget about the ceiling when you are looking at a 2-dimensional plan on paper. But don’t forget about lighting requirements or ceiling fans. It’s so much easier to make changes now rather than after your home is built, to accommodate your lighting needs.
- Think about tomorrow. You may absolutely love that plush purple shag carpet but how attractive will that be to prospective purchasers when it’s time for you to sell your home? Think about which selections will translate into a higher resale value, such as kitchen upgrades or hardwood flooring. And when in doubt, neutrals are usually the safest bet.
Culinary Event and Showsuite Opening a Success at Northshore!
Thank you to our customers, staff and vendors that came out this past Saturday! It was a beautiful day to come out and view our new showsuite! A special shout out to Holly and Rodney....
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter